Many watches demand regular battery replacement.
The batteries mostly last for 1-2 years and for this you will need to remove the watch back to repair it.
If you know how to remove watch back with notches, then you can replace the battery quite easily and need not make trips to the repair shop.
You need to have some good quality watch repair tools, and then you can easily do all such watch repair work at your home comfortably.
Also, it demands a bit of patience and practice.
How to Remove Watch Back With Notches to Replace the Battery?
To remove the back of the watch that has notch screwback, follow the steps below.
- Firstly, get a cloth and lay down the watch unit. This prevents damage to the bezel and crystal. Also working on a flat and sturdy surface help you get a good grip and this way the tools don’t slip.
- Place the spring bar tools’ fork at the place where the lug and spring bar connect. Then retract it and release the band.
- Remove both sides of the watch so that you can place it easily in the watch case holder.
- Attach the watch on the watch case holder in a way such that the case back faces you.
- There are some pins on the watch case holder that are used to secure the case.
- Tighten the pins to the case by turning the wheel. Also, make sure it doesn’t budge.
- Afterward, adjust the spanner wrench to the width matching your watch case.
- Fit the wrench’s opposite sides in the notches that are around the perimeter of the case back
- Next, make 4-5 turns to the spanner wrench in a counter-clockwise direction. Now the case will come off.
Although he spanner wrench is most commonly used for this task, you can also use other tools to achieve the same. Get the tools with which you are most comfortable.
- Turn the case with moderate pressure.
- Using a vise prevents damage to the watch case.
- Waterproof watches are quite challenging to repair. Thus it queries some patience and practice.
How to Remove Watch Back Without Notches?
Excellent and stylish watches play a vital role in fashion. Modern watches make use of battery-powered mechanics along with smooth and sleek design.
Also, some watches do not have a notch.
Fortunately, there is a height difference between the watch case and the backplate in such watches, and by exploiting it, you can also open the watch case of those without notches.
Opening the Watch
You will need a woodworker’s camp, a clamp, a penknife, and a table.
- Get the clamp with padded ends. Be careful while removing the watch back as making mistakes can break the watch too.
- Wrap a cloth around the three sides of the watch.
- Place the watch in the clamp on the table.
- Place it in a way such that the watch is perpendicular to the table and the clamp and the exposed side is in an upward direction.
- Now pry off the backplate using a knife. You can achieve this by inserting edge between the case and the back.
- Keep your fingers above the knife and then push it down using the palm of your hands.
- Putting some pressure will cause the back to separate from the case.
- When the back separates from the case, remove the watch from the clamp and pry off the watch back using a knife.
Types of Watch Backs
The three most common types of watch backs are:
1. Screw off Waterproof Back
Such watches have notches around the edges of the watch back.
2. Snap off Watch Back
Such watches have a smooth back. There is a dent on the side of the watch where you can place the knife.
3. Screw Watch Back
Such watches have smooth back along with screws.
How to Close a Watch Back Without a Press?
After opening the case, you will surely need to close it if you desire to wear the watch,
Closing the watch back isn’t also much tricky.
The case back with notches
Follow these steps to close the watches that have notches on their back.
- First checkout the gasket of the watch. If it’s damaged, then you will need to replace it for sure.
- Place the back of the case in a way that it’s not tilted to an angle.
- Next, use your fingers to tighten the back and turn it clockwise.
- When you feel you can no more tighten the back using your finger, take out the case wrench and then line the tips for the wrenches with the notches.
- You can open or close the holes using the adjuster wheel between the notches.
- When the tips fit perfectly in the case back notches, tighten the back using the wrench, turn it clockwise.
- The watch back is securely placed when you feel you can’t tighten it anymore.
Closing the Back of Snap off Watches
The case backs of such watches don’t have marks on the back. They are smooth all the way.
Follow these steps to close the snap off watch case.
- First, check the gasket for repair.
- If the gasket is in excellent shape, move on to replace the watch case.
- Align the notch above the stem of the watch before placing the back on the case. Not doing so will cause severe risk and damage to the movement of the watch.
- Press the back of the watch when it is in place.
- Use your fingers to grip the crystal of the watch and then press the thumb on the back of the watch until it snapped on perfectly.
- If you find any uneven edge of the watch after it has snapped, re-adjust it then press down the case again.
- If you face any issue in closing the snap off watch with your hands, use a watch press to do it.
- When you find no uneven edges after snapping the watch back, cheers, as the watch back has now been placed securely on the watch.
You are dependent on watches to keep the time, but some people hardly give it a thought until the watch stops working someday.
Most often, this means the battery needs to be replaced, and for that, you will have to open the watch back.
After reading this marvelous article, you got to know how to remove watch back with notches and without notches using the best repair tools.
This way, you can work comfortably with various watch back types and repair your watch conveniently.