Working on your own vehicle becomes pretty much difficult if you haven’t got the correct tools. The car repair task will become a big headache in such a case.
You need to work with nuts and bolts, and unfortunately, you won’t be able to deal with them if you haven’t got the right sockets.
Various sockets sizes are required to avoid such disappointments. The best socket set for mechanics will make the repair work quite easy for you.
This cool collection of sockets is beneficial for engineers and mechanics. Modern sockets come with hardened steel and a special protective coating that adds to their durability.
Customers prefer buying them as they offer them an impressive variety. These sockets are heat-treated to give high performance. Moreover, the torque strength is wonderful.
Choosing the correct set is a difficult task. Well, we have made this challenging decision quite easy for you by reviewing the top sets of the sort. This way, you will get a clear understanding and easily decide which one to go with.
Table of Contents
Best Socket Set For Mechanics Reviews 2021
Sockets sets are the need of every DIY task. They have a standard feature in the sheds, garages, and workshops worldwide.
You can comfortably tighten or loosen the fastener with the help of these brilliant tools. Their interchangeable design allows you to handle various complicated tasks without any hassle.
This way, you can speed up your work too. The socket sets reviewed below are unique on their own.
Top Socket Set For Mechanics Comparison Table
Weight: 13.12 pounds
Dimension: 18.1 x 13 x 3.6 inches
Weight: 0.64 ounces
Dimension: 13 x 7.5 x 2.4 inches
Weight: 7.6 pounds
Dimension: 10.6 x 7.2 x 2.7 inches
Weight: 14.29 pounds
Dimension: 18.5 x 4.2 x 13.5 inches
Sunex Tools 1848
Weight: 4 pounds
Dimension: 12.8 x 8.1 x 2.2 inches
Weight: 23 pounds
Dimension: 20 x 14.7 x 5 inches
Weight: 8.75 pounds
Dimension: 13.5 x 9.5 x 2 inches
Weight: 25.1 pounds
Dimension: 20.5 x 14.9 x 4.1 inches
Weight: 9.85 pounds
Dimension: 14 x 10.6 x 2.2 inches
Weight: 1.11 pounds
Dimension: 13.4 x 10 x 1.8 inches
1) AmazonBasics AMZ1701: Best Durable Design Socket Set For Mechanics
AmazonBasics is well known for providing low-cost household items and electronic accessories. Moreover, they manufacture excellent quality tools too.
You need not have an advanced kit for some basic maintenance. This affordable and effective socket set is the right choice for you. It contains the most popular socket sizes. They are simple and quick.
The tools are made from forged chrome vanadium steel and have a polished chrome finish that adds to their durability. They have high-quality engravings, which allow you to spot them easily in this portable set.
Furthermore, they don’t break or fall apart in exerting high pressure. They come in a carrying case with metal snap locks. This way, you can take the kit with you anywhere.
- The sockets are in both SAE and metric sizes.
- It is covered by one year warranty.
- The tools have antislip handles.
- They feature a quick-release mechanism.
- They have a fully polished chrome finish.
- The ratchets have superb maneuverability.
- The strong case offers easy transport.
- Item Weight: 13.12 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 18.1 x 13 x 3.6 inches
- Measurement System: metric, inch
- Well constructed and durable tools
- Easy to use
- Impressive torque and strength
- The sockets in the molded case don’t stay in a place.
- Some customers complain that taking out the sockets from the casing is a bit difficult.
2) GearWrench 80301: Best Standard & Deep SAE/Metric Socket Set
Gearwrench is a superstar company in producing the top of line hand and power tools. They produce the tools that are required and loved by every professional tool users. Every year this company produces some innovative products, and among them is the GearWrench 80301.
This set offers you a full range of sockets. You will get sockets from standard to deeps. The excellent quality of the set will blow away your mind.
The set has tools in both SAE and Metric sizes. There is a small palm ratchet that is convenient to use and works brilliantly in awkward situations.
The sockets are labeled impressively, and this way, you can see their sizes without any hassle. Also, the case is laid out perfectly. Furthermore, this kit is backed by a lifetime warranty.
- The sockets have large heads, which offers you an easy identification.
- Moreover, they have serration depth.
- The tools come packed in a blow mold case and have a nice chrome finish.
- The set has an additional thumbwheel and a universal joint.
- The sockets in the kit have an off corner loading design that reduces the rounding of the fastener.
- The thumbwheel ratchet allows access in tighter spaces.
- There is an 84 tooth ratchet that offers better access and also offers a reduced return swing arc.
- It has a cushioned grip.
- Item Weight: 0.64 ounces
- Product Dimensions: 13 x 7.5 x 2.4 inches
- Warranty Description: Lifetime
- Polished and well-marked sockets
- Solidly built tools
- An impressive selection of sizes
- The set case is sized a bit big due to which the sockets come out of their place.
- Some customers complain that the directional ratchet lever faces some issues after 2-3 years of use.
3) EPAuto ST-004-3: Best Budget Socket Set For Mechanics
EPAuto manufactures excellent products for affordable prices. This socket set is best for working with vehicles that have a lot of Torx screws. The small plastic case that houses the tools is much easy to carry.
It also comes with a pear head ratchet and extension for the drive size. The marvelous range of deep and standard sockets that this set comes with will cover all your repair tasks. It is a perfect option for emergency repairs. The ratchets inside the case are labeled brilliantly, and this way, you will have no issues in locating them.
This set comes with a 30 days product warranty. It has a measurement in both SAE and metric. This makes the set a universal one. The socket sizes are stamped clear and deep.
It has sockets of 6 points, and thus there are zero chances of rounding off the corners of the nuts. The durable, slim, and well-organized case doesn’t take up much space. It includes an additional six-inch extension and an angle adapter. The joints are smooth.
- The tools are made from chrome vanadium alloy steel and have a shiny finish.
- They are mirror polished and corrosion-resistant.
- It contains sockets in both SAE and metric sizes.
- The ratchet holds the sockets brilliantly with its lock bearing.
- Brand: EPAUTO
- Item Weight: 7.6 pounds
- Package Dimensions: 10.6 x 7.2 x 2.7 inches
- Both English and SAE metrics
- Chrome plated and corrosion resistant
- Easy to store and transport
- Sockets aren’t magnetized
- Heavy to carry
4) Craftsman 36165: Best Alloy Steel Construction Socket Set
Craftsman tools are long-lasting and built with durability. They fulfill the brand expectation and trust that their customers have in them.
This is the favorite brand of many professionals. Craftsman 36165 kit is perfect for beginners and professionals. Moreover, it is an ideal set for home and garage.
This functional kit is of great value. The set comes with 92 sockets, 23 wrenches, hex keys, the driver handles, driver bits, screwdriver bits, and ratchets.
It also has a universal screwdriver. All these impressive tools are stored in an excellent quality carrying case. This case is easy to open, and it keeps the tools in their place.
- It features both standard and metric sizes.
- The tools are backed by a lifetime warranty.
- This set comes with sockets of 1/4 inch, 3/8 inch, and 1/2 inch drive size.
- The tools have a chrome-plated construction and are thus durable.
- They are corrosion resistant. Also, the carrying case is dent resistant.
- This lightweight set weighs only 18.74 lbs.
- The extension bars allow you to increase the torque when needed.
- The two quick-release ratchets in the set offer great ease in switching between the sockets.
- The wrenches work smoothly.
- Item Weight: 14.29 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 18.5 x 4.2 x 13.5 inches
- Excellent quality construction
- An impressive assortment of tools
- SAE and metric sizes
- There is no space for extra parts in the case.
- The hex wrenches do not come with a holder.
5) Sunex Tools 1848: Best Top Rated Socket Set For Mechanics
Sunex equips its customers with superb quality tools offering the best value. Their products are known worldwide for their impressive design and engineering. This 1/4 inch drive socket set has both deep and standard sizes.
The force in the sockets is distributed along the walls. This reduces wear and increases torque. Also, the fasteners have a fantastic fit. These tough sockets are nicely laid out in the carrying case.
This kit gives you top quality feel and fit. It is functional and is a great buy. The tools get into tight places easily. This cool set covers all major sizes that are needed for auto repair. Also, they are easy to carry.
- The set comes with a lifetime warranty.
- These tools are made from CR-MO steel that is much durable and can handle high torque impact quite easily.
- They have a radius corner design that increases torque and reduces wear.
- The chamfered opening offers impressive alignment of a fastener to the socket.
- Their dual size marking offers much ease in socket identification.
- The set comes in a tough and heavy-duty storage case.
- Item Weight: 4 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 12.8 x 8.1 x 2.2 inches
- Size: SAE & Metric
- Durable and sturdy
- Comfortable gripe
- Increased torque and reduced wear
- Some customers complained that the numbering on the tools was a bit small.
- The case mixes up the sockets.
6) DEWALT DWMT73803: Best Socket Set For Mechanics Overall (Our Top Pick)
Dewalt is an American brand that produces impressive power and hand tools. These tools have a big name in the woodworking, manufacturing, and construction industries.
The kit includes hex keys, wrenches, sockets, and many more brilliant tools. The angled adapters are a great relief while working with hard to reach bolts. This solid kit comes with a lifetime warranty.
The individual sockets in the set are stamped with their metric or SAE designation. There are metal bucks on the sides of the sturdy case.
The different size tools are best for more extensive projects. Furthermore, the structures and the durability of DEWALT DWMT73803 will surely impress you.
- The 72 tooth gear system in the set is brilliant for high torque ratcheting.
- The low profile directional lever is superb for one-hand operations.
- The 6 point sockets are durable and made up of steel.
- The tools are organized in a wonderful case, and all tools snap into place.
- They are engraved well.
- Item Weight: 23 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 20 x 14.7 x 5 inches
- Color: Black
- Easy to read
- Comfortable one-hand operations
- Durable and sturdy
- The case is a bit heavy.
- A limited selection of wrenches.
7) SK 94549: Best Socket Set with Super Chrome Finish
SK is a brand that manufactures professional-grade tools for all kinds of jobs. This socket set is best for medium to heavy users. The kit is made in the USA and includes a superb quality nonslip ratchet, thumbwheel ratchet, and extensions.
These ratchets work best in high torque applications. The sure-grip sockets make the removal much easier and prevent the rounding of the fastener or the socket points.
The precision and quality of the tools are impressive. Furthermore, they are quiet and smooth. The case that comes with the set is super compact and secure.
There is a clear marking for each socket inside the case. The ratcheting mechanism of SK is rebuildable and serviceable. They have a finer tooth mechanism and work flawlessly.
- The 6 point sockets grip the fasteners brilliantly.
- They have a chrome plating that makes them more durable.
- They have engraved size markings.
- The set has a limited lifetime warranty.
- They have a durable finish that offers impressive corrosion resistance.
- Item Weight: 8.75 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 13.5 x 9.5 x 2 inches
- Measurement System: metric, inch
- Warranty Description: Lifetime Warranty
- Suregrip design and excellent grip
- Durable finish
- High-performance tools
- Some customers complained that the case needs to be improved a bit.
- Some customers weren’t satisfied with the finishing of the sockets.
8) Neiko 02446A: Best 35 Piece Deep Socket Assortment
Neika Tools is a leading hand tools, power tools, hydraulic tools, and air tools supplier of the USA. They produce some of the excellent quality and finest tools accessories too. Neiko 02446A is made in Taiwan.
The impact pieces in the kit are constructed from premium chrome vanadium steel. This kit includes drive sockets, extension bars, quick release ratchet handle, drive impact adapter, drive impact reducer, and drive impact universal joint. Their drop-forged steel makes them last longer.
Furthermore, the blow-molded case in which the tools come is great for transportation. You can make quick and efficient fastener applications with brilliant quality sockets in the set.
There is a 6 point flank drive that prevents the rounding of corners by holding onto the fasteners efficiently.
- The impact pieces can easily withstand the high level of torque.
- The impressive 6 point hex design of the socket prevents hammering stress.
- You can identify the tools easily as they have laser-etched markings.
- The sturdy case has two lever locks that offer impressive security.
- The sockets come in both SAE and standard sizes.
- The black phosphate coating of the sockets protects them from oil, dirt, and other stuff of the sort that could break them.
- Part Number: 02446A
- Item Weight: 25.1 pounds
- Package Dimensions: 20.5 x 14.9 x 4.1 inches
- Material: Cr-V Steel
- High torque and superb strength
- Excellent quality
- Brilliant selection of sockets
- Some customers complained that they weren’t able to see the sizes clearly on the sockets.
- No 16mm or 20mm metric socket.
9) TACKLIFE HIS2A: Best Anti-rust Drive Impact Socket Set
TACKLIFE inspires its customers by manufacturing the best quality products. It aims to make the user lifestyle more secure and convenient by producing a wide range of power tools and tools accessories. TACKLIFE HIS2A is an impressive kit of Cr-V deep sockets.
The snug fit of the sockets makes them last longer. The layout of the pieces in the set is logical, and the storage case holds all pieces securely. You can handle the sockets with ease.
- The sockets are according to the ANSI standards.
- Their black phosphate finish offers them an anti-oil and an anti-rust design.
- They have a high contrast laser etched marking that makes them easy to identify.
- The heavy-duty portable case that comes with the kit has slots and thus offers organized storage.
- The 6 point design of the tools offers great protection to your sockets and fasteners as it prevents the rounding off of the corners.
- The set comes with two years warranty.
- The spring-loaded ball detent lock prevents the slipping of parts into the machinery.
- Item Weight: 9.85 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 14 x 10.6 x 2.2 inches
- Number Of Pieces: 17
- Accurate, effective, and professional
- Strong, durable, and solid
- Nice finish
- Some customers complained that the storage case wasn’t of good quality.
10) Neiko 10083A: Best Torx Bit Socket Set
Neiko Tools is a leading tool manufacturing company in the USA and produces excellent quality power tools, hand tools, and tools accessories.
This 60 piece set includes almost all superb sockets required by professionals in dealing with different shapes and sizes fasteners. It offers you the convenience of having all the stuff in a place. There are compartments in the sturdy plastic box.
This is a perfect selection of bits and sockets. The precisely machined bit tips prevent damage to the bits and fasteners as they have the accurate size and go smoothly into the fasteners. Furthermore, with the Cr-V steel sockets, you can turn the toughest fasteners with ease.
- The polished Cr-v steel offers an increased torque power.
- The chamfered edges of the bits make the fitting work easier and smooth.
- The sloping edges make the sockets lock easily in the ratchet handles.
- They are resistant to corrosion.
- The smartly crafted blow molding case store and secure the bits in an organized way.
- The lightweight case is quite convenient to hold and much easy to carry.
- Part Number: 10083A
- Item Weight: 1.11 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 13.4 x 10 x 1.8 inches
- Color: Clear
- Style: Standard
- Resistant to corrosion
- Improved accuracy and smoothness
- Durable constructions and superior torque power
- Hard to see identifying marking.
- Cheaply made casing
Buyer Guide: How to Choose the Best Socket Set For Mechanics?
While shopping for the socket sets, you need to consider some essential factors.
Check out some of the most important features and characteristics that make a socket set more demandable. This way, you can make the right choice.
SAE, Metric, and Inches
Get the inches, SAE, or metric set depending on your needs. You can also get the tools of all measurements. This way, you will have a complete set and enjoy working with the ideal tools. Some professionals also prefer having a complete mechanic toolset.
First, you need to check how many sockets are there in the set. A set of more than 150 sockets is considered to be a good one. Well, one with 60 or more is not bad too.
The sockets with greater strength can easily withstand the impact and stress. Most of the sockets are made up of Crv steel, which is good for countless jobs. Well, the heavier sockets are considered to be stronger and long-lasting ones.
Impact or Regular Sockets
The impact sockets are softer and can absorb the impact, while the regular sockets are harder.
6 or 12 Point Sockets
Based on your requirements, you need to consider if you want to buy 6 point or 12 point sockets. The 6 point sockets have thicker walls, and due to this, they are considered stronger.
On the other hand, the 12-point sockets are best for working in tight spaces. This is because they can access a bolt in a single position.
Shallow and Deep Sockets
You can use shallow sockets on ordinary nuts and bolts. In contrast, if you are working with longer bolts or the ones with a threaded rod inside, you need to get a deep socket.
Get the socket that you can use in more than one situation. You can use the impact socket on a standard ratchet too.
Drive Size Ratchet
Drive size ratchet is the opening on the socket’s top. The most commonly available units include the 3/8 inch, 1/2 inch, and 1/4 inch versions.
A case is needed to hold the sockets securely. It would be best if you got a durable and strong case so you can move around easily with the tools.
It is located on the ratchet, and it is used to unlock and remove the socket from the ratchet.
Ratchet radius refers to the number of teeth on the inside of the unit. The ones with more teeth can be used in tight areas easily.
Get the socket with markings engraved on it.
Buying the top-notch quality sockets set isn’t an easy task. There are various sets in the market, and this might confuse you.
This guide has given you some of the brilliant ideas to buy the best socket set for mechanics. This way, you can get the right kit and do the maintenance work in a hassle freeway.
You may also like to read about the best cordless tools for contractors.