Hostile weather conditions result in power outages. It is better to get the backup system ready before the worst happens. Experiencing no power or failure of the main grid will let you realize the importance of the best portable generators. They work as a brilliant backup power supply and bring the essentials back to your life by restoring the energy. Such devices are mostly used in the case of an emergency power outage. They can save your day, and this way, make your life more comfortable. You can also use them to have an extra backup source in order to power up the tools you use in your daily profession or trade.
This smart investment helps you get ready for all sorts of situations. Portable generators are quiet, light, and affordable. They aren’t only helpful in an emergency. You can take these handy devices with you anywhere. They make use of gas-powered engines and provide you electricity. You can easily move these portable devices from one place to another. They are safe and can be used outside the house too.
Best Portable Generator for Home Use Reviews 2020
Power outages are nodoubt a great inconvenience. They can be downright dangerous and leave you in the dark for long. Portable generators help you when the main grid power fails. Without sufficient information finding the best generator can be a difficult task.
Before purchasing one, you need to make sure it is reliable, durable, and offers the feature that you intend to have. Portable generator reviews will help you a lot in buying the right one. In this article, we have reviewed the top 10 portable generators to make your buying decision much easier.
Top Portable Generator Comparison Table
Weight: 99.2 pounds
Dimension: 23.2 x 17.5 x 19.6 inches
Weight: 46.5 pounds
Dimension: 20.7 x 19.3 x 12.1 inches
Weight: 13.32 pounds
Dimension: 11.8 x 7.6 x 9.2 inches
Weight: 7.64 pounds
Dimension: 8.5 x 7 x 5 inches
Weight: 3.84 pounds
Dimension: 7.4 x 4.6 x 6.7 inches
Weight: 201 pounds
Dimension: 27.3 x 26.2 x 26.2 inches
Weight: 95.7 pounds
Dimension: 25.1 x 17.3 x 18.3 inches
Weight: 0.16 ounces
Dimension: 22.2 x 13.3 x 18.4 inches
Weight: 48 lbs
Dimension: 18 x 11 x 18 in
Weight: 93 pounds
Dimension: 18 x 10 x 15.5 inches
Enjoy a 12 hours runtime with this durable and powerful generator. It is a great alternative power source in case of outages. This portable generator offers you great convenience and safety. It offers easy monitoring. You can monitor the power output with the voltmeter. This effective backup subsystem comes with lots of brilliant features. It has a high-quality steel frame that will take the best care of your equipment during a power failure. You can perform easy oil change with the oil funnel that comes with it.
The cast iron sleeve provides extended life to the engine. You can run your air conditioner, electric heater, television, and other appliances easily with this portable generator. It is tough and has an impressive runtime. Moreover, it comes with a low oil shutdown feature. Due to this, the engine would shut down even if you forget and prevent itself from being getting damaged. It is not oversized and is comfortable to handle. The generator keeps going and won’t leave you hanging. It comes with a separate wheel and handle kit.
- It features a cold start technology that offers it a fast start in cold weather.
- Its Volt guard surge protector prevents spikes in your equipment noisy, and this way keeps them safe.
- The starting watt is 4000, and the running watt is 3500
- The oil capacity is 0.6 quart.
- It comes with a three years warranty.
- It is RV Ready, and you can run your RV device with it.
- The engine comes with an automatic low-level sensor that offers enhanced protection.
- The generator is powered by a 4-stroke 196 c.c engine.
- The noise level is low, and thus it’s quiet.
- It has circuit breakers for each outlet.
- The low oil shutdown feature prevents it from being damaged during operation.
- Size: 3500-Watt
- Product Dimensions: 23.2 x 17.5 x 19.6 inches
- Item Weight: 99.2 pounds
- Shipping Weight: 105 pounds
Pros & Cons
- Volt guard technology.
- RV ready and cold start
- Easy startup and longer run time
- Its body doesn’t come with wheels, and thus, moving the generator body can be a bit difficult.
- It is not CARB compliant.
This lightweight and small generator offers great power to your equipment. This backup system is built to be quiet and efficient. Honda EU2200i eliminates the need for cords, and this way offers a convenient way to use. The generator is durable and is covered in an insulated housing. It is small enough, and you can fit it in your family car for a trip too. It’s eco throttle feature enables optimal engine speed and fuel efficiency. The generator adjusts its speed brilliantly. You can use it in the public area comfortably as its noise level is quite low. It comes with an impressive manual and great instructions.
An LED light tree built on the control panel works as an indicator system and lets you know the problem that the generator might be facing. The illumination of the top LED indicates a low oil level. Running the generator in such a case can damage its internal. If the middle LED is illuminated, then it means that the generator is facing an overload. In such a case, you need to adjust the wattage demands. The illumination of the last LED is in the form of green output. This indicates that the generator is providing a proper power output and facing no issue. It comes with a three-year warranty.
- It has an easy to grip handle by which you can carry it comfortably.
- It is quiet.
- The running time is up to 9.6 hours. Also, you would not need to recharge it most often.
- It comes with an eco-throttle system by which the generator makes us of its power brilliantly.
- The LED light tree on the control panel works as a great indicator system.
- It has two connectors and allows for parallel operations. This way, you can have double wattage power by connecting another Honda EU2200i generator.
- You can switch to the fuel efficiency mode for longer applications.
- Its sound level (53-59 dBA) is less than a normal conversation.
- The fuel capacity is 0.95 gal.
- Package Dimensions: 20.7 x 19.3 x 12.1 inches
- Item Weight: 46.5 pounds
Pros & Cons
- Excellent honda engine and advanced inverter technology
- Super quiet operation
- Compact and lightweight
- No fuel gauge
- No USB charging ports
This power station is fairly compact. Frequent travelers will love this product as they can charge it while on the road too. Its power and build quality are excellent. You can power up your device with this generator on a single charge for several days. The battery can conserve power for days and weeks. It has got a lot of capacity and does not limit the devices that you can recharge with it. Its long-lasting batteries can endure many recharge cycles. The generator comes with a 2-year warranty. Its sides are vented for the purpose of cooling. The smooth and easy to grip handles won’t strain your hands.
This all in one station features a number of charging ports. You can charge this power station by a household wall charger, car charger, or portable solar panels. It requires zero maintenance. You need not worry about operating noise and excessive fumes. The generator is lightweight, and anyone can carry it easily. Its portable design allows you to set it up anywhere. The pure sine wave inverter of this power station provides the same pure current to your electronic device that they would have from the wall outlet of your house.
- The elongated handles of the generator offer a good firm grip.
- It comes with three USB ports.
- The AC socket allows you to plug in the wall socket.
- Moreover, it has a 12V car charger port.
- The readable 2 inches LED display lets you know about the power that is being taken out of the system and also the remaining battery power.
- You can turn on and off the display bar with the small round display button.
- There is an input port on the left side of the LED display. This port is for solar connections.
- The charging capacity of the battery is 12V-30V,3.5A.
- The LED flashlights allow you to light up dark areas.
- It features a battery management system along with short circuit protection, temperature control, and voltage control.
- The sine wave inverter offers a clean AC output.
- Product Dimensions: 11.8 x 7.6 x 9.2 inches
- Item Weight: 13.32 pounds
- Manufacturer: Jackery
- Voltage: 110 volts
- Wattage: 500 watts
Pros & Cons
- Plenty of power with a portable design.
- Super quiet and environment-friendly
- Multiple charging and multiple output options
- Easy readout display
- It won’t change heavy devices like air conditioners, vacuum cleaners, and space heaters.
- It takes time to charge through solar panels.
This is a nice backup to help you cope up with the power outages. The generator allows you to remain motivated on the go. It is lightweight, and you can take it on trips or any other place where electricity is required. The interface is user-friendly. It comes with an AC adapter, user manual, and a service card. You can charge it via an AC wall outlet, solar panel, or a car charger. It is safe and produces no poisonous fumes. The pure sine wave AC outlet makes sure your sensitive devices are safe.
It is easy to operate a can last for several days without charging. The generator is small, but the quality is outstanding. There is a convenient handle on the top of the generator that allows you to hold it easily. You can plug multiple devices in it at a time, and it will keep working smoothly and quietly. Its LED display is much informative. The emergency light is bright and allows you to light up the dark places. Altogether the generator is quite useful and is worth the money.
- This is a gas-free compact solar generator that integrates a portable battery pack.
- It comes with a battery management system.
- The generator offers overcharge, short circuit, and overload protection.
- It has three output modes: the USB output, DC output, and the AC output.
- The sine inverter offers a 300W continuous power. Moreover, it produces 600W surge power.
- It has a built-in smart fan that maintains the temperature.
- It has a flashlight with an SOS design that offers you ease for outdoor work.
- Power Source: solar-powered, battery-powered
- Voltage: 110 volts
- Wattage: 300 watts
- Product Dimensions: 8.5 x 7 x 5 inches
- Item Weight: 7.64 pounds
Pros & Cons
- Environment-friendly and energy-saving
- Impressive cooling mechanism
- Easy to carry
- Brilliant safety features
- Can’t work with high powered appliances.
- Some customers complain that the documentation isn’t translated perfectly.
The jackery products, nodoubt, offer a reliable and safe power to your devices. This lovely power station allows you to charge all your stuff from a smartphone to a fridge. The moving of this well-engineered power station is a breeze for hikers and campers. It is the best choice for various indoor, outdoor, and emergency needs.
The generator is lightweight and is thus camper friendly. This small charging station has plenty of ports and superb power. It has impressive build quality and a wonderful set of outputs. There is a sturdy built-in handle that allows you to move it easily from one place to another. Its digital displays are quite useful and accurate.
The unit is portable and comes with some impressive features. This is a 100W power station that has a 167Wh lithium battery. A single AC shot of this generator can run your electronics easily. You can recharge your small devices too, as it has DC and USB ports too. The foldable chargers that come with this generator offer brilliant durability with their solid plastic casing. It is solidly built and can also stand up to the outdoor rigors. Altogether this little beast works like a champ
- It comes with a universal 12V DC outlet, 2 USB-A charging ports, and a USB-C port.
- The smart display and the built-in battery management system offers you a marvelous efficiency.
- There is an LED screen that shows you the battery status information.
- The device has an integrated LED flashlight along with an SOS warning. Its built-in flashlight can easily illuminate a big campsite.
- It is solar, and you can make use of any solar charger to charge it. Moreover, it offers you a pair of foldable solar chargers.
- The generator comes with a 100W inverter that can also peak up to 150W.
- Product Dimensions: 7.4 x 4.6 x 6.7 inches
- Item Weight: 3.84 pounds
- Wattage: 100 watts
- Voltage: 110 volts
- Power Source: AC, Car Port, Solar Panel
Pros & Cons
- Handy, lightweight and portable
- Superb charging options
- Easy to use with a great power output
- Cant run bigger appliances
- Some customers complained that the USB charger isn’t reliable, and it stops working after some months
This portable generator offers you brilliant safety and security in case of a power outage. You can make use of it during a large event or bring it with you on a road trip. Its design is brilliant and quite safe for everyone. The powerful engine offers you what you need. The durability and dependability will surely impress you. There is a full enclosure under the cover that prevents the components and the electrical connections from being getting damaged. The fuel consumption of this generator is quite low, and thus, it can be used for a longer time. Its powerful engine has cast iron sleeves and uses quite less fuel.
Getting started with it is quite easy. It comes with oil, handles, and a funnel. You need to keep it oiled properly. Its documentation is excellent and will be much helpful to you. The outlet covers keep the debris and moisture out. Moreover, it has a meter that offers easy tracking. You can move it comfortably on uneven terrain as it has the solid wheels. Altogether this generator can power up your devices simultaneously and comes in handy during emergency outages.
- The 420cc engine of this generator produces four strokers per revolution.
- It comes with four outlets.
- There are two ways to start it, i.e., with the manual starter handle or the electric starter,
- The special Pulse-Flo muffler keeps its noise level minimum during usage.
- It has color-coded controls for easy use. Moreover, the LCD display allows you to know for how long it has been running.
- Its wheel makes moving it easier from one place to another.
- The peak watt is 9500 while the running watt is 7500.
- It has a remote start and a push-button start.
- It is transfer switch ready and has a 16 hours run time.
- The generator is CARB and EPA compliant.
- It comes with safety features and is circuit protected.
- The low oil shutdown prevents engine damage. Moreover, the automatic voltage regulator protects your appliances.
- It features water-resistant GFCI outlets.
- Product Dimensions: 27.3 x 26.2 x 26.2 inches
- Item Weight: 201 pounds
- Power Source: gas-powered
- Wattage: 7,500 watts
Pros & Cons
- Fuel efficient and sturdy design
- Quick start, easy to set up and simple to use.
- Three years warranty
- A bit heavy
- Not much quiet
The generator is powerful and can easily run an air-conditioner. This is a brilliant option if you are in need of an impressive amount of buyers. You can run your multiple appliances with it. Many buyers have praised this generator for being quiet. It is not much noisy, so you need not worry about annoying others. Also, it’s much easy to use. Furthermore, it reduces the electric load. This is a wonderful mixture of suitability and flexibility. You will love this lightweight companion friend for an outing. Its nice wheels and handles make it easy to transport. Moreover, you can also comfortably slide it into a truck bed.
It has an economy mode that offers a better fuel economy and an extended engine life. This generator is reliable and runs on both propane and gas. The fuel selector dial allows you to switch between propane and gasoline. It automatically idles in order to save some fuel in case of low power demand. The power that it produces is clean and doesn’t have too many fluctuations. This makes it safe for recharging your devices. It comes fully assembled and is eco-friendly. The package comes with an oil funnel, USB adapter, and battery charging cables. Its RV outlet can run your RV air conditioners. By and large, it offers you a sufficient backup power supply.
- The generator is RV ready.
- It is a dual fuel generator.
- The cold start technology offers a quick start.
- It has a 192cc single-cylinder OHV engine.
- The starting watts is 3400 while the running watt is 3100. Furthermore, the estimated run time is 11 hours, 3 minutes.
- The noise level is only 59 dBA.
- It features an electric start that is quite reliable.
- The sturdy wheels and the handle offer easy transport.
- The run time is up to 14.5 hours.
- It is EPA and CARB certified.
- You can access all of its control in a single spot with the quick touch spot.
- Fuel Type: Gasoline, Propane (LPG)
- Noise Level: (dBa) 59.0
- Gasoline Capacity (gal.): 1.6
- Wattage: 3
- Power Source: Gas, Propane
- Product Dimensions: 25.1 x 17.3 x 18.3 inches
- Item Weight: 95.7 pounds
Pros & Cons
- Three years limited warranty along with free lifetime support.
- Electric start and dual-fuel capability
- User-friendly, easy to use and ultra-quiet operation
- No remote start.
- It produces 3400-watt only at the start and then runs at 3100-watt continually.
This is an affordable and powerful solution for recreational applications. It comes with a PowerRush technology by which it offers a 50 percent more starting capacity. This technology works in increasing the electric current upon demand. Its compact and lightweight molded case handle allows easy storage and transportation. The maximum starting watt is 3000.
This economical generator works flawlessly and causes no trouble for your electronics. It has 4.5 hours of runtime. You can charge your tablets and phones easily with its 1 AMP and 2.1 AMP USB outlets. It comes with a funnel and oil. This way, you can easily put oil in it as it comes dry. It maintains a pure sine wave at the required frequency and voltage. The manual is quite helpful too. To access the motor, you just need to remove its two Philips heads.
- Its quiet inverter power offers optimal performance and reduces sound emissions.
- Its lightweight built-in handle makes it much easy to carry.
- It is RV ready, allowing you to connect directly to your RV.
- It features a simple to use dial that includes a PowerDial and start, run, and stop functions.
- The economy mode offers quieter operation and reduces fuel consumption.
- It has status lights that offer indication for low oil, power, and overload occurrences.
- The generator features a True Power technology that offers stable and clean power that is suitable for sensitive appliances.
- It has a low oil shutoff feature
- Moreover, it is CARB Compliant.
- It is parallel ready, and you can have twice the power by connecting two GP3000i inverter generators.
- The status lights give visual alerts in case of overloading, low oil, or when its ready to use.
- Voltage: 120 volts
- Power Source: gas-powered
- Product Dimensions: 22.2 x 13.3 x 18.4 inches
- Item Weight: 0.16 ounces
Pros & Cons
- Three years residential warranty
- Quiet inverter power
- Parallel ready
- No electric start
- Because of minimal airflow, it can overheat if used in a hot area for a long time. Due to this, it can shut itself off.
This silent generator produces clean and environment-friendly energy without any fluctuations. It comes with a four-stroke 79.7cc engine that produces quite a low sound. It produces only 51 decibels of noise at a 25 percent load. The generator limits the harmonic distortion and is best for your delicate electronics. This low-cost inverter is built very solidly.
It is lightweight and is extremely portable. The eco-mode maximizes the unit’s fuel economy. One gallon generator tank can offer a runtime of up to 4 hours. The pull start is much smooth and requires less effort. Start it with the manual recoil system, and the remaining process is quite easy and straightforward.
The generator comes with a two years warranty. It offers safe and clean energy without any fluctuations. You can also use it for outdoor purposes. There is a gas level gauge at the top of the tank. This fuel-efficient generator is quite convenient to carry anywhere. It has a side panel that is easily accessible. There are indicator lights on the front panel which let you know about the overloading.
All of its outlets come with overload protection. Moreover, its automatic shutter controls the gasoline intake and maximizes the fuel economy. It does not need to be grounded, and thus you can use it safely. You can enjoy more power with its parallel connectivity option. By and large, this is a convenient, quiet, and practically safe generator.
- It is EPA III and CARB Complaint.
- The generator has a lightweight design and weighs around 48 pounds.
- It comes with a USB port.
- With the eco mode, the generator motor adjusts the consumption of fuel. This helps in fuel regulation when electronic appliances are plugged in or unplugged.
- It features an automatic shutdown and low oil indicator in case of low fuel in the unit.
- The maximum output is 2000 watts while the running output is 1600 watts.
- It comes with 12 volts DC port, 3-prong 120 V receptacles, and 5 volts USB port.
- Furthermore, it has a parallel connection capability by which you can link two generators with the help of the parallel connection kit.
- Item Dimensions: 18 x 11 x 18 in
- Item Weight: 48 lbs
- Power Source: Gas Powered
- Voltage: 120 volts
- Wattage: 1,600 watts
- Running Wattage: 1600W
- Surge Wattage: 2000W
- Half-Load Run Time: 6 Hours
- Fuel Tank Size: 1 Gallon
- Engine Displacement: 79.7cc
Pros & Cons
- Pure and safe power without any fluctuations
- Excellent fuel efficiency and super-quiet operation
- Compact and easy to use
- Changing oil is a bit difficult.
- The eco mode faces some issues at a higher load and doesn’t work well.
Westinghouse has been known around the world for offering the best products over a century. Their products come with dependability and groundbreaking technology. This traditional generator has a compact design. Starting the unit is easy. The remote key fob and the electric button push start both make the initial process a breeze. The voltage control technology gives up to 18 hours of runtime on a 25 percent load. This product is best as an emergency backup source or for recreational activities that require a pure and clean power.
The generator is portable and comes with a key fob, funnel, manual, charger, oil, tool kit, and a quick start guide. There is a pre-assembled wheel kit. It has a tough design and the wheels won’t ever get flat. The model comes with lifetime technical support and a three-year limited warranty. It is safe for sensitive electronics. There are lights on the outlet panel that warn you of the low oil level and the overloading. Furthermore, it has asymmetric cooling fans.
- It offers an extended run time of up to 18 hours on a 3.4 Gal of the tank.
- The starting watt is 4500 while the running watt is 3700.
- It has two 20A household outlets, an RV Ready outlet, and a built-in USB port.
- The variable-speed engine gives you the power that you require at any particular time.
- It features a remote start and a push-button electric start.
- There is an LED data center with an automatic digital display that gives you real-time information about maintenance data.
- The telescoping handle offers easy transportation.
- It comes with low tone mufflers and double-insulated acoustic enclosure that reduce the operating noise.
- It has an AVR (automatic voltage regulation).
- The unit is circuit protected.
- There is a four-stroke engine with US EPA emission controls.
- It is circuit protected.
- The efficiency mode offers maximum fuel efficiency.
- Product Dimensions: 18 x 10 x 15.5 inches
- Item Weight: 93 pounds
- Item model number: iGen4500
Pros & Cons
- Clean and safe power
- RV ready
- Remote start and long runtime
- It is not parallel ready
Buyers Guide For the Best Portable Generator
Portable generators are quite helpful as they work as a backup source for emergency power needs. There are various things that you need to consider while buying them. To make your buying decision much more manageable, here is a guide that will help you get the best one.
It is essential to know your power needs. Check how much watts your electronic devices require. Also, check their staring wattage requirements.
You need to consider the type of outlets that you need. Smaller generators come up with a couple of 120V AC outlets and sometimes USB ports too. Four thousand watts generators come with 240V plugs along with 120V outlets. If you intend to use the generator outside, then do consider the GFCI protected outlets.
Most of the generators make use of gas as a fuel. Well, no doubt, Deisel generators offer much better efficiency. If you intend to buy a household generator, then the one with diesel will be a better option. But also keep it in mind that diesel is a bit difficult to find sometimes.
There are also battery-powered generators that produce no emissions and run silently.
Electronic Fuel Injection is a brilliant feature. Due to this, there is no need for a carburetor.
This makes it easy for you to carry them from one place to another.
Lift Hook Bar
It helps you lift the generator to some higher point and saves plenty of time.
If you enjoy pulling a recoil cord then, there is no need to go with the electric start. Well, the ones with electric start are although a bit expensive, but they are brilliant to use.
Get the one with a quiet design as your neighbors and other people near you will appreciate the choice.
Make sure that the one you are going to buy is not much heavy, and you can carry it comfortably.
Consistent or Occasional Use
Generators with warranty cover you for a long time. If you intend to buy it for emergency use, then it is better to go with some reputable brand. Whereas if you want to buy it for daily usage like usage in a crew, then go with the commercial one.
The portable generator charges your device and powers up your applicants in all sorts of situations. Buying it is a lifestyle choice. It sure as a quiet and efficient partner and makes many difficult things possible. Elevate your fun level by getting the best portable generator as it offers you an additional electricity source and comes in handy most often.
You may also enjoy reading the best homeowner tools set.